Valley Invicta Academies Trust’s new School of Science and Technology Maidstone (SSTM) is a state-of-the-art secondary school offering a specialist curriculum for 180 students from Year 7 onwards with a flair for science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) subjects.
Gallagher Ltd was employed as specialist groundwork Sub-Contractor on the project. We developed a strategy for the site-wide cut-and-fill works to reduce the amount of topsoil taken offsite and processed the rocky subsoil on site to produce 6F2 material for capping further reducing offsite disposal and import requirements, minimising lorry movements in a busy residential area.
Other works included:
- 3,000m2 pile mat constructed from recycled type 1 supplied by Gallagher Aggregates
- Pile attendance to CFA piling works
- Two below-ground attenuation tanks totalling 1,300m3
- RC foundations totalling over 500m3 of structural concrete
- Ground-floor slab – 750m3 of reinforced concrete
- Non-structural fibre reinforced concrete toppings to the first, second and roof levels, eliminating the need for anti-crack fabric reinforcement.
- Hard landscaping including footpaths, tarmacadam car park and courtyard areas
- Below-ground SW and FW drainage including live connections by accelerating the S278 works we completed the 16-week programme
- 4 weeks early whilst working with multiple statutory service providers during the Covid-19 pandemic