Japanese telecommunications giant NTT Ltd opened its new data centre in Dagenham, East London, as part of a £500 million UK investment plan.
The company operates five further data centres in locations close to London, including Hemel Hempstead and Slough. The main structure, constructed by privately-owned contractor Oakmont Construction Ltd, comprised a shell building of around 10,000m2 including a gatehouse building.
Oakmont appointed Gallagher Ltd to complete a wide-ranging groundworks package including:
- Installation of pile mat, piling attendance and pile caps
- 1250m of foul water drainage and 1310m surface water drainage
- Around 800m of 1.8m diameter Tubosider Pipes for stormwater attenuation
- 30,000 linear metres of trenching and ducting for services installations
- Concrete installation to upper floors
- Installation of external service yard slabs
- Alterations and service BWIC installation for the northern car park
Our team carried out all excavation and filling, with no material left on site. We also handled the breakout and processing of on-site materials into reusable aggregates. This was our first project with Oakmont, and we established an excellent working relationship between our two companies.