The Roman Temple of Mithras has been reconstructed in London, using Kentish Ragstone from Hermitage Quarry.
Mithraism was a religion inspired by the Persian worship of the god Mithra and practiced in the Roman Empire between the 1st and 4th Centuries. The Temple is thought to date from c.240AD and was in a key location in the developing settlement of Londinium.
The temple was first discovered in 1954 on Walbrook in the City of London by a team from The London Museum. It was reconstructed in 1962 on Queen Victoria Street, however the result was universally criticised. Nearly 50 years later a decision was made to return the temple to a site closer to where it was originally discovered. In 2011 work commenced to dismantle the reconstruction and return it to its new location, which is seven metres below modern London street level and housed below Bloomberg’s European headquarters.
The reconstruction was undertaken by PAYE Conservation. Most of the original Kentish Ragstone was reused, with new Kentish Ragstone needed to replace stone that dated from the 1960s reconstruction. This was sourced from Hermitage Quarry and matches the geological and stratigraphic characteristics of the Roman originals. Stone was dressed by machine and then finished by hand to match the bed heights of the originals.
Head Office address:
Gallagher Group, Leitrim House, Little Preston
Aylesford, Kent ME20 7NS
Gallagher Aggregates Ltd., Hermitage Quarry
Hermitage Lane, Maidstone, Kent ME16 9NT