John Lewis and Waitrose, Horsham
Gallagher was appointed by Simons to undertake the groundworks and externals for new John Lewis and Waitrose stores and associated car parks in Horsham town centre, on land off from Albion Way. The John Lewis @ Home store is approximately 30,000 sq ft and the Waitrose 29,000 sq ft. They are served by a 330 space car-park, (part undercroft and part suspended upper floor).
The site was formerly occupied by the Horsham bowling club and car dealerships operated by Mazda and Lifestyle Ford.
The scope of Gallagher’s work included:
- Tree and vegetation clearance. Demolition of Horsham bowling club, Mazda car dealership, and Lifestyle Ford dealership.
- Processing of site won material into 6F2 and type 1
- Reduced level excavation and cut and fill earthworks.
- Attenuation tank installation. FW and SW drainage, (including pumping station & interceptors).
- Construction of substructure foundations, lift pits & travellators, and construction of RC retaining walls.
- RC floor construction, (ground bearing & suspended)
- Import, place & compact 6F2 and type 1 to car-park areas and external works.
- Installation of PCC kerbs, edgings and channels. Installation of street furniture.
- Tarmacadam surfacing to car-parks and external areas.
- Hard landscaping paving.
- S278 highway works to Albion way & Bisphoric.